Resources for Autism
Once a referral is completed this will go to our Triage team who will call to discuss the referral (estimate within 4 weeks) and the most suitable service for the individual.
It is worth noting we do have substantial waiting lists for all our services, so it could be some time before we can offer support but priorities will be discussed in the Triage call.
Just to give you an overview of our services, Resources for Autism offer practical support for children and adults with an official diagnosis of autism. We offer:
- Term time clubs (roughly 2 hours). These are specialist play and youth clubs for children aged 5 - 19. The clubs are about getting young people engaging in fun activities, i.e. cooking, sports, arts and crafts. We run various different ones across Birmingham and allocate due to age and ability. Clubs currently are £8.50 per session (subsidies may be available for those on low income).
- Holiday clubs (roughly 5 hours per day). The holiday clubs are similar to term time, but as they run during holidays there may be outings included such as bowling or trampolining. An advert is sent out for families to apply each holiday. Costs are currently £16 per day (subsidies may be available for those on low income).
- One to One service. This is a specialist support service - all staff are autism trained and provision is normally tailored to your needs. Staff aim to engage with the community, going on local outings, developing social networks and creating positive relationships. Costs for one to one service is £28 per/ hour (could be subject to change).
- Reach Out service. This is our volunteer/ befriending service. Our volunteers aim to engage with the community, going on local outings, developing social networks and creating positive relationships. This provision is for 2-3 hours per week every week for up to six months. No charge for this service.
- Adult Groups - We offer specialist groups for people with a diagnosis of autism aged 19 and upward wherever they are on the spectrum. One to one support is available and all staff are autism trained. Groups may be art or sensory based or a social group. The groups are ability specific and we would assess which group is most appropriate first. Costs differ dependent on the allocated club.
- Play/Creative Arts Therapy - Using a variety of modalities such as music, art, stories and puppetry; children and adults have an opportunity to express challenging emotions in a safe space. It aids physical, emotional, and social development, including increased self-esteem, social communication, sensory regulation and confidence. This is achieved through self-directed play and a positive relationship with their therapist. Cost: £8-45/session, dependent on type of therapy and personal circumstances
- Siblings Group – this runs once a month for siblings aged 8-16. Costs are £6 per session currently.
- Family Support Groups – Monthly parent/carer meets online and occasional face to face support groups and occasional parent training. No charge for this service.
*Please note all above costs are relevant to those living within a B postcode area and could be subject to change.
I hope this information is useful and further information can be found on our website https://resourcesforautism.org.uk/, but if you have any other questions feel free to contact us.
West Midlands Admin Team
Address: BAYC, 581 Pershore Road, Birmingham, B29 7EL
Head Office: 020 8458 3259
Midlands Office: 07817 736 096